The UIDAI keeps insisting that Aadhaar is secure. Biometics can’t be bypassed, enrolment software can’t be hacked, and so on. So I put together a quick list. This list is under construction. Keep checking for updates.
- April 2012: An enrolment agent was found to have issued 30,000 Aadhaar cards in a span of six months. 800 of these were enrolled using biometric exceptions for disabled people and when the police were asked to verify, they found that none of the disabled people lived at the addresses provided One Mohammed Ali, employee of IL&FS was arrested in this matter. Later, it was discovered that Mohammed Ali’s employment had been terminated in September of the previous year, and employees at 20 different centres in the city had been using his credentials to login and create Aadhaars. This was supposed to not be possible, but a flaw in the registration software allowed it.
- June 2012: Also in Hyderabad and also IL&FS. Seven were arrested including IL&FS officials and a ration card shop owner, when it was found that an সাবেক কর্মচারী একটি সরকারী ল্যাপটপ ধার to conduct some 60 enrolments, at least 13 of which were fraudulent and for the purposes of ration card fraud. In this case, it appears that the arrested person used his own fingerprints, which is how he was caught, but it is unclear how an ex-operator’s fingerprints were accepted by the system.
- দ্য আধার Aasara কেলেঙ্কারীতে saw 3 individuals between ages 20 and 30 arrested when it was found that they created fraudulent Aadhaar cards to receive government old age pensions of Rs. 1000 per month to the tune of Rs. 50 lakh.
- দ্য কানপুর আধার তালিকাভুক্তি কেলেঙ্কারীতে: the software was patched to bypass iris authentication and copies of fingerprints of authorized operators were used to login and create or update Aadhaar cards.
- YouTube- এ ভিডিও প্রদর্শন প্যাচ জন্য আধার নিয়োগ software (and updates) and provide PayTM account details to pay for the patch in order to buy it.
- এর এশিয়া টাইমস রিপোর্ট কর্কশ ECMP সফ্টওয়্যার that worked “out of the box” – it came preconfigured with valid credentials of operators and a patch to bypass geographical restrictions that prevented access from unauthorized locations.
- বায়োমেট্রিক্স এবং রাষ্ট্রায়ত্ত ব্যাংক কর্মকর্তা বিবরণ Prashant Morvadiya were sold on a pen drive for Rs. 6000 to enable access to update Aadhaar data using his credentials, in a scam the police believe to be operating for a year when it was caught.
- Amroha আধার তালিকাভুক্তি কেলেঙ্কারীতে used methods similar to the Kanpur Enrolment Scam, with copies of authorized operator’s fingerprints.
- ইউআইডিএআই নিজেই স্বীকার করেছেন 20th June, 2017, that there are reports of biometrics being hacked, which is why it raised the penalty for bypassing biometrics to one lakh. “Due to various cases of bypassing the operator biometric capture being reported, UIDAI has decided to impose a penalty of Rs 100,000 per enrolment station found to be bypassing the operator biometric.”
- কর্কশ সংস্করণ of the Aadhaar enrolment software being sold on WhatsApp.
- আধার কার্ড শত শত পাওয়া নকল কাগজপত্র ব্যবহার করে তৈরি করা in Moga.
- মহারাষ্ট্রের একটি আধার অফিসিয়াল নির্মিত তার চলতি রাবার স্ট্যাম্প কপি, so that his underlings could conduct enrolments on his behalf.
The title of this post is inspired by this tweet:
Nandan :- @India_Stack ডিজিটাল মহাসড়ক তৈরী করে
— Srikanth ஸ்ரீகாந்த் (@logic) May 6, 2018