ది యుఐడిఎఐ keeps insisting that Aadhaar is secure. Biometics can’t be bypassed, enrolment software can’t be hacked, and so on. So I put together a quick list. This list is under construction. Keep checking for updates.
- April 2012: An enrolment agent was found to have issued 30,000 Aadhaar cards in a span of six months. 800 of these were enrolled using biometric exceptions for disabled people and when the police were asked to verify, they found that none of the disabled people lived at the addresses provided One Mohammed Ali, employee of IL&FS was arrested in this matter. Later, it was discovered that Mohammed Ali’s employment had been terminated in September of the previous year, and employees at 20 different centres in the city had been using his credentials to login and create Aadhaars. This was supposed to not be possible, but a flaw in the registration software allowed it.
- June 2012: Also in Hyderabad and also IL&FS. Seven were arrested including IL&FS officials and a రేషన్ card shop owner, when it was found that an మాజీ ఉద్యోగి ఒక అధికారిక ల్యాప్టాప్ అరువు to conduct some 60 enrolments, at least 13 of which were fraudulent and for the purposes of ration card fraud. In this case, it appears that the arrested person used his own fingerprints, which is how he was caught, but it is unclear how an ex-operator’s fingerprints were accepted by the system.
- ది ఆధార్ Aasara కుంభకోణం saw 3 individuals between ages 20 and 30 arrested when it was found that they created fraudulent Aadhaar cards to receive government old age pensions of Rs. 1000 per month to the tune of Rs. 50 lakh.
- ది కాన్పూర్ ఆధార్ ఎన్రోల్మెంట్ స్కాం: the software was patched to bypass iris authentication and copies of fingerprints of authorized operators were used to login and create or update Aadhaar cards.
- YouTube లో వీడియోలు ప్రదర్శించేందుకు పాచెస్ కొరకు ఆధార్ నమోదు software (and updates) and provide PayTM account details to pay for the patch in order to buy it.
- ఆసియా టైమ్స్ నివేదిక క్రాక్డ్ ECMP సాఫ్ట్వేర్ that worked “out of the box” – it came preconfigured with valid credentials of operators and a patch to bypass geographical restrictions that prevented access from unauthorized locations.
- బయోమెట్రిక్స్ జాతీయం బ్యాంకు అధికారి వివరాలు Prashant Morvadiya were sold on a pen drive for Rs. 6000 to enable access to update Aadhaar data using his credentials, in a కుంభకోణం the police believe to be operating for a year when it was caught.
- Amroha ఆధార్ ఎన్రోల్మెంట్ స్కాం used methods similar to the Kanpur Enrolment Scam, with copies of authorized operator’s fingerprints.
- యుఐడిఎఐ పైనే ఒప్పుకున్నాడు 20th June, 2017, that there are reports of biometrics being hacked, which is why it raised the penalty for bypassing biometrics to one lakh. “Due to various cases of bypassing the operator biometric capture being reported, UIDAI has decided to impose a penalty of Rs 100,000 per enrolment station found to be bypassing the operator biometric.”
- పగుళ్లు వెర్షన్ of the Aadhaar enrolment software being sold on WhatsApp.
- ఆధార్ కార్డులు వందల ఉన్నట్లు గుర్తించారు నకిలీ పత్రాలు ఉపయోగించి తయారు in Moga.
The title of this post is inspired by this tweet:
Nandan :- @India_Stack డిజిటల్ రహదారులు రూపొందించారు
— Srikanth ஸ்ரீகாந்த் (@logic) May 6, 2018